The VIS Core
We challenge, inspire and empower learners to develop their unique potential in our changing world.
We will lead the way toward a sustainable future.
We value balance, resilience, respect, innovation and courage.
The VIS Learning Principles
Definition of Learning: We learn when we build and apply new understandings and skills in a variety of contexts. The following research-based learning principles guide our teaching practice:
- Learners at the center: Recognizing learners as core participants and encouraging active engagement.
- Learners are unique: Engaging all learners and adapting to individual needs.
- Learners have emotions: Understanding the role of emotion and being aware of individual motivations.
- Learners have potential: Embracing challenging expectations while understanding individual variations.
- Learners are collaborative: Recognizing the value of social interaction to engage with multiple perspectives.
- Learners make connections: Linking understandings and transferring learning to new situations.
- Learners are reflective: Having a clear purpose, understanding next steps, and using feedback to support growth.
Intercultural Learning at VIS develops students’ empathy and respect for different cultures, opinions and perspectives; building an understanding of themselves and others to be engaged citizens both locally and globally.
Our Road Map
In November of 2018 we held a Clarity Summit composed of teachers, students, parents, board members and alumni to brainstorm who we are as a school and where we want to be in two years. The results of the summit were then submitted to the VIS community for additional feedback and inspiration.
The results of our work has provided clarity of purpose and a detailed road map to help us reach our destination. In 2021 this booklet was updated to reflect our journey and adjusted for a world that is constantly changing.
Join us in our journey! Please see the booklets below.